Jun 16, 2020
John is an Enterprise Account
Executive for RiskIQ, but is commonly known as “The Snake
Guy”. His love for snakes, and all nature and wildlife
(except spiders) started very early on in life. He was born
and raised in the San Francisco Bay area and is a huge San
Francisco 49ers and Giants fan. John was always very
adventurous and had many experiences including working with muscle
cars, playing in pool hall tournaments, gambling, racing and free
His vacation plans often
included opportunities to find and photograph snakes and he has
found over 80 different types of snakes. John also has a
YouTube series called the “Snakes of 12 Oaks.” He enjoys educating
people in hopes of calming their nerves when it comes to snakes.
After leaving San Jose he briefly lived in Arizona and then moved
to Hawaii for seven years. After the “perfect date” he
married his wife Kim and they are very proud parents of
John is so amazing, adventurous,
heroic, heart-warming, and intelligent. I’m honored to share his
story with all of you. We are fortunate to have John and his
family as our neighbors. There is a ton to know and love
about John Worden.
In This Episode:
- [02:38] Welcome John Worden our
11th “P” in the pod[cast]. He is an Enterprise Account Executive
- [04:16] John spent a lot of
time in the ocean when he lived in Hawaii and even dived with seven
different shark species.
- [06:58] He enjoyed growing up
in the Bay area and said he had a great childhood with many fond
- [08:21] John shares about his
youthful times working with muscle cars, playing in pool hall
tournaments, gambling and
- [09:28] He spent 7 years on the
island of Maui.
- [10:03] In Maui, he learned a
lot about how to read and understand people and earn his place on
- [11:44] John is very big into
the nature, wildlife and the natural world around
- [13:41] There is some fear
involved with free diving. He shares a story where something
dangerous almost happened when free diving.
- [15:07] John was able to go on
the Great White Expedition on Guadalupe Island and dive with sharks
for 3 days.
- [16:44] He has always tried to
be a real genuine person and be true to himself.
- [17:14] He has always focused
on curiosity around the world and people around him. It is
important to keep learning and be
- [18:38] Through any job you
have in life, you have an opportunity to learn about the
basics. It is super important to make strong
- [20:51] John shares about a
typical day working as an Enterprise Account
- [23:21] In five years, he sees
himself wherever he needs to be to be successful and take care of
his family. For now, right where he is, is a great place to
- [25:04] He has loved snakes
since at least kindergarten and remembers a time when a snake
visited his class.
- [26:32] His vacation plans
would often include finding and photographing
- [27:24] He has found over 80
different types of snakes. He enjoys seeing the snakes in
their natural habitats, photographing them and observing their life
for a short time.
- [29:49] He shares the amazing
opportunity he had to visit tribal
- [31:21] Hawaii is a very
- [34:23] John has a YouTube
series titled “Snakes of 12 Oaks.” He credits the idea and
videography to his wife Kim.
- [35:40] The goal of the YouTube
series is to calm the nerves of people when it comes to
snakes. He wants to help people feel comfortable in a
neighborhood where snakes are going to be part of the
- [36:42] He believes he has been
bitten hundreds of times by harmless, nonvenomous snakes. He
describes them as uneventful.
- [37:58] John shares about the
- [42:23] John shares about his
son Wes, known as “Mr. Wes.” He has absolutely loved watching him
grow up and change. He enjoys watching his thirst for life
- [44:01] Their beagle puppy
Jackson has been part of their family for almost a
- [44:27] Having a beagle puppy
and a toddler at the same time have proven to be one of the biggest
challenges he has faced in his life.
- [46:31] Why did you choose to
live in 12 Oaks?
- [47:02] John’s family has been
living in 12 Oaks for 4 years and they love it. They love how
easy it is to make friends and build their network in 12
- [48:22] John shares his fondest
memories in 12 Oaks.
- [50:29] He shares about his
experience when Wendell treated his family like they had been
friends for 20 years. Wendell shares his perspective as
- [52:24] What are you most proud
- [53:25] When it is time to say
farewell, what would you be known for?
- [54:15] Which actor would play
- [55:37] What would be a
surprise that most people wouldn’t know about you?
Links and Resources: