Apr 21, 2020
Brian Groesser is a Practicing
Attorney and Director of Worker’s Compensation throughout North
Carolina for the law firm, Midkiff, Muncie, and Ross. In his role
as the head of the worker’s comp department, Brian provides legal
counsel through insurance carriers and self-insured - handling
worker’s compensation claims before the North Carolina Industry
Commission and Court of Appeals. He also conducts multiple
continuing education seminars for adjusters, risk managers and
attorneys across the country.
Brian was born and raised in
Chelsea, Michigan with a population of 5500. Chelsea,
Michigan is most notable for being the home of actor Jeff Daniels,
who is a recipient of two Emmy awards, a Golden Globe, a Screen
Actor’s Guild, and Tony awards. Chelsea, Michigan is just about an
hour outside of Detroit.
Attending the University of
Michigan, with an A.B. in Political Science, Brian graduated with
honors. He got a full-ride scholarship to North Carolina
Central University School of Law and he repeated the distinction
graduating with honors again. Brian is a member of the North
Carolina State Bar, North Carolina Association of Defense
Attorneys, North Carolina Bar Association and the Wake County Bar
Brian is married to Ali who is a
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner. They are proud parents of three
kids. Brian is also a member of Fuquay-Varina United Methodist
Church and enjoys playing golf, visiting the beach, listening to
podcasts, and cheering on his Michigan Wolverines.
In This Episode:
- [01:59] Welcome Brian Groesser,
a Practicing Attorney as well as the 8th “P” in the
- [02:43] Brian was born and
raised in Chelsea, Michigan.
- [03:25] Brian graduated from
both the University of Michigan and North Carolina Central
University School of Law with honors.
- [05:32] What was it like
growing up in Chelsea, Michigan?
- [06:03] Chelsea, Michigan is
also the home of Jiffy Mix.
- [07:06] Treat people the way
you want to be treated. It is the Golden Rule and applies no
matter where you grew up.
- [07:35] Did your academic
success come naturally and/or what was your
- [09:41] Do you have any
- [11:06] Brian shares about the
fascinating opportunities he had in school as a political science
- [13:11] Brian shares his
experience at a presidential dinner when he was asked to protect
- [16:03] Brian was lucky to meet
Gerald Ford and Barack Obama.
- [18:58] There was a picture in
the newspaper of him at a Gore rally holding up a poster board
- [19:38] Why did you pursue a
degree to be an attorney?
- [20:59] What is the rush like
being in a courtroom?
- [22:13] Why did you choose the
workers’ comp field?
- [24:51] The key to success in
any law firm is really developing clients.
- [26:22] There is a reference in
your title called “Of Counsel,” what does that mean?
- [28:23] What is the AV
Martindale Hubbell Peer Rating recognition and how is that
- [29:50] Why is your current
- [31:38] As an Attorney, where
do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? What is your vision or
goal for the next 5 or 10 years?
- [32:52] The goal is just to get
better and just be a better representative of my firm and
- [35:58] In North Carolina
Contributory Negligence basically absolves the business of
liability if you were negligent.
- [38:33] Brian’s goal in 5 to 10
years is to still be adding value in the workers’ compensation
- [39:56] Tell us about this
voting process and designation as a Super
- [40:53] His senior year Brian
was the Super Fan for the University of
- [43:19] Brian and his crew were
asked to start and organize a student section for the basketball
team from the ground up.
- [45:13] What is the attraction
you have with podcasts?
- [47:51] If there was a trigger
for me to become an Attorney it was definitely the O.J. Simpson
- [48:34] How did you and Ali
- [51:22] We started dating at
Camp Seagull/Seafair in 2001.
- [52:19] What caused marriage to
- [54:10] Brian and Ali have been
married for 16 years.
- [54:22] Brian talks about his
- [56:15] What is a normal
“day-in-the-life” of Brian the Practicing Attorney, husband, and
- [57:31] Brian explains what
billing hours mean as an Attorney.
- [60:24] Brian tries to get as
much done as he possibly can while he is at work and that way he
can have a home life when he gets home.
- [60:46] Why did you choose to
live in 12 Oaks?
- [63:26] Ali’s parents moved to
12 Oaks from Pittsburgh.
- [65:53] Brian’s family moved to
12 Oaks in the summer of 2016.
- [66:18] How has it been the
last four years living in 12 Oaks?
- [68:27] Brian’s goal is to make
people laugh and have a good time.
- [71:28] Brian shares something
that is true for him, but almost no one agrees with him
- [72:33] What is Brian most
- [73:10] What would you like to
hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
Links and Resources: